Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2014

Boekenhoutskloof acquired two Swartland properties (Porseleinberg and Goldmine) a few years ago and these supply 60% of the fruit for the 2014 vintage of the cellar’s acclaimed Syrah, the traditional Wellington vineyard the remaining 40%. Fermentation occurs spontaneously in concrete tanks while maturation lasts some 18 months in a combination of 600-litre barrels and 2 […]

October 24, 2016
by Christian
with 10 Comments

Porcupine Ridge Chenin Blanc 2014

Why would those behind Porcupine Ridge, the commercially successful Boekenhoutskloof entry-level range, feel compelled to add a Chenin Blanc and a Chardonnay into the mix? I suspect that, in both instances, it’s about catching a wave before it breaks – there are signs that consumers are starting to tire of bottom-end Sauvignon Blanc and the […]

January 6, 2016
by Christian
with 0 Comments Top 20 wines 2015

Editor Christian Eedes selects his top 20 wines of the year based on quality, value, availability and excitement. Wine of the Year Sadie Family Wines Columella 2013 The most accomplished modern-era SA red yet. Read original review here. – – – AA Badenhorst Family Wines Ramnasgras Cinsault 2014 Can you expect greatness of single-variety Cinsault? […]

December 7, 2015
by Christian
with 7 Comments

Boekenhoutskloof tutored tasting

Having resolved to forsake wine dinners and other promotional activities some five years ago, Marc Kent of Boekenhoutskloof is back on the road again after the failure of any of his wines to rate 5 Stars in the 2016 edition of Platter’s. “I’m still sulking but I’ll get over it and we’ll be back,” he […]

November 26, 2015
by Christian
with 0 Comments

Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage 2005

In the quest for elegance and finesse, do South Africa’s new-wave reds sacrifice mid-palate and texture? That was at least one of the topics of conversation during a benchmark tasting (sighted) of 12 examples of Shiraz/Syrah from the 2005 vintage hosted by Hartenberg Estate in Stellenbosch yesterday. A wide variety of styles on show but […]

November 19, 2015
by Christian
with 0 Comments

How well do SA’s white wines mature?

“Why are top-end red wines so much more expensive than white wines when they essentially cost the same to produce?” was the question posed by acclaimed Swartland winemaker Eben Sadie before yesterday’s tasting of seven local whites 10 years or older convened by South African Sommelier Association. “We’re all inclined both to spend more on […]

October 16, 2015
by Christian
with 3 Comments

Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction 2015 sales figures

Sales at the 31th Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction held yesterday amounted to R11 815 800 for 2 589 cases compared to R11 929 600 for 2 853 cases in 2013, average price per case amounting to R4 599, an increase of almost 10% year on year (average price per bottle being R767). Tsogo Sun was the biggest buyer […]

October 4, 2015
by Christian
with 0 Comments

The Wolftrap White 2014

Who drinks The Wolftrap White “matured and bottled” by Boekenhoutskloof? The 2014 is a blend of 48% Viognier, 41% Chenin Blanc and 11% Grenache Blanc and has an approximate retail price of R40 a bottle. It shows yellow fruit, a subtle earthiness and a slight yeasty character. Rich, relatively thick textured and more oxidative than […]

September 24, 2015
by Christian
with 1 Comment
Page 1 of 612345...Last »
AEC v1.0.4
  • February 24, 2017Stellenbosch Wine Festival 2017
  • March 3, 2017Soweto Wine and Lifestyle Festival
  • March 4, 2017Ommiberg Round the Rock Festival 2017
  • March 30, 2017FNB Eastern Cape Wine Show – East London
AEC v1.0.4
newlstter2 Get the biggest stories of the past fortnight sent directly to your inbox. subscribe

Wine magazine was published from October 1993 until September 2011 & now lives on in digital form as We cover everything to do with SA fine wine.

XSLT Plugin by Leo Jiang